Friday, August 6, 2010

Mexican Lasagna


I saw this recipe on Rainy Day Gal a while ago and thought that this would be perfect for one of the nights that I have my Wilton class or have to work late.  I can get everything together the night before if I  know I'm going to be home late and just have the hubby pop in the oven before I get home.   I am so glad I bookmarked this one because the result was wonderfully delicious and very hearty!  It had a wonderful kick from the peppers and I used Trader Joe's taco seasoning which is a little spicy.   This makes a large amount that we had for lunch later in the week and that I froze in tupperware in individual portions that are perfect to take to work and pop in the microwave for a quick and filling lunch.   This will stay in my recipe box and I can't wait to make it again!

Mexican Lasagna
Recipe from Rainy Day Gal

1 lb. ground turkey
1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles
1/2 cup water
1 packet taco seasoning
2 (4 oz) cans diced green chiles
2 (14 oz) cans refried beans
1 (6 oz.) can sliced black olives
6 large flour tortillas
3 cups grated cheese - I used a Mexican blend

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a skillet brown ground turkey, I added a small amount of olive oil to add some fat to the turkey.  Add tomatoes, taco seasoning and water.  Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.  Remove from heat.

In a bowl, combine beans, green chiles and black olives.

Coat a 9x13 pan with baking spray.  Spread half of the bean mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan.  Cover with two tortillas.  Spread with a cup of the cheese and then cover with half of meat.  Add an additional layer of tortillas and remaining beans.  Add one more cup of cheese and the rest of meat mixture.  Add a last layer of tortillas and the remaining cup of cheese.  Bake for 15 minutes or until heated thru. and bubbly.  If you refrigerate the dish before baking as I did you will need to bake for 15 minutes covered in foil, then remove the foil and cook an additional 15 minutes.  Let cool 5 minutes before serving with a dollop of sour cream.   ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. I tried this the other day. I actually like it, but my kids are not as enthusiastic about it as I am. They still prefer the lasagna with 'lasagna' in it, lol, that's how my 4-year old explain it to me, lol! Anyway, I'd still give it two thumbs up, although probably not the best choice of lasagna recipe to make for my kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete