Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Roast Chicken and the Most Delicious Casserole!

Tonight I made yummy roasted chicken breasts that are very simple to prepare. While they are really simple, that doesn't mean that they are fool proof - I set of the smoke alarm! This is the first time in over three years that I have set it off - I know cause we have been in our place for three years and when they went off I didn't even know where it was! These breasts had a lot of fat that smoked while cooking - be careful!

The highlight of the meal was a Zucchini Casserole that I got from the Food Network made by Paula Dean. Surprisingly it didn't call for a pound of butter! I made a couple of changes but pretty much kept it almost the same. I strongly recommend this as a side dish - the filling was a creamy savory mixture and the crust was nice and crispy! I have been trying to make one new recipe a week and this was a success - not like the chicken tortilla soup I made last week! :)

Squash Casserole
Adapted from Paula Deen
Recipe can be found on the Food Network

Ingredients

  • 6 cups large diced yellow squash and zucchini
  • Vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup crushed butter crackers (recommended: Ritz)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (I put mine in a 400 degree oven cause I cooked it while the chicken was roasting.)

Saute the squash in a little vegetable oil over medium-low heat until it has completely broken down, about 15 to 20 minutes. Line a colander with a clean tea towel. Place the cooked squash in the lined colander. Squeeze excess moisture from the squash. Set aside.

In a medium size skillet, saute the onion for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and mix all ingredients together except cracker crumbs. Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with cracker crumbs. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment