Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

One of my favorite things to do on Sunday is watch a combo of Food Network and Anthony Bourdain while prowling food blogs for new recipe ideas. This Sunday was no exception - which was a perfect way for me to nurse my cold all bundled up on the couch. I found a couple of new recipes by checking out members of Craving Ellie in My Belly that will be highlighted this week, the first is this wonderful Jambalaya that I found on Confessions of a Foodie Bride. It was destined to be made in my kitchen since I had leftover Turkey Kielbasa.  I actually had everything I needed except for the bell peppers, which gave me an excuse to check out the new "Farmers Market" style grocery store that opened about 5 minutes from my house.

This has a lot of flavor, but beware as this makes A LOT of Jambalaya!

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 lb. turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/4 pieces
1 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning
1 lb. chicken, cut into cubes
3 bay leaves
3 cups rice
1 cup white wine
2 cups water
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup chopped green onions

Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers, salt and cayenne. Stirring ofter brown vegetables for about 20 minutes or until caramelized and brown in color. Add kielbasa and cook 10 - 12 minutes. Season chicken with Old Bay and add to pot, with Bay leaves. Cook 2 - 3 minutes. Add in rice and cook 2 - 3 minutes. Add wine to deglaze pan, followed by water and chicken broth. Cook 30 - 35 minutes covered without stirring. Remove from heat and let stand 2 - 3 minutes covered. Remove bay leaves and add green onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment