Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Boston Creme Cupcakes


We watched the Red Carpet and Oscar's at a close friends house this Sunday and since I always bring the dessert and she has been asking for these cupcakes for a couple of months I decided to make these VERY easy and delicious cupcakes.  I have been making these for years - the inspiration is a making an easy to transport version of the classic.  I have made them a couple of different ways, using both store bought cake mix and homemade yellow cake.  I have used both traditional vanilla pudding as well as branched out with a white chocolate pudding and cheesecake pudding filling.  All of them have been really tasty and I don't really have a favorite way.  I decided to make this version the traditional yellow cake with vanilla pudding and chocolate ganache.   I used a cake mix because I didn't want to make a lot of them, and instant vanilla pudding with some vanilla beans thrown in to increase the vanilla flavor.  The result was very well received and these are a delicious treat that I highly recommend!

I forgot to take a picture of the inside!!!  Trust me they are filled with vanilla bean pudding!!

Boston Creme Cupcakes


12 prepared yellow cupcakes - either cake mix or homemade
2 cups vanilla pudding - either homemade or from the mix
1 cup chocolate ganache

Fill a pastry bag with a cupcake filling tip (Wilton tip 230) with prepared pudding.  Insert cupcake tip into cooled cupcake - fill cupcake, careful not to overfill.  You will start to see the cupcake expand - if you overfill it's okay but you will need to clean off the top of the cupcake.  Alternatively you can use an apple corer to take the center out of the cupcake, fill with pudding and replace top.

Once all cupcakes are filled, prepare chocolate ganache.  I used 1/2 cup heated cream, do not allow it to boil poured over 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips.   Allow this to sit 1 - 2 minutes and then stir until chocolate is melted.  With an off-set spatula spread ganache on each cupcake, smoothing to create a shiny smooth surface.   Place cupcakes in refrigerator for 1 hour to allow the ganache to cool and set.

These cupcakes stay good in the fridge for a couple of days before they start to get a little soggy inside.

ENJOY!

Shared on Cupcake Tuesday and Sweets for a Saturday

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Love Boston Creme!
    Thanks for sharing on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete