Friday, March 4, 2011

Nutty Pumpkin Granola

I have been on a serious yogurt kick!  I have just discovered the wonders of Greek Yogurt and I can't get enough.  The hubby and I go thru a carton from Costco in a little over a week!  We have been getting the plain yogurt which I doctor up with some agave syrup, cinnamon and granola.  Most granola is pretty pricey so I decided that I would try to make my own - a quick internet search and I discovered a quick and inexpensive recipe for pumpkin granola on Ella Says Opa, most of the other recipes I found linked back to her recipe so I decided to try it out.

The process couldn't be simpler - mix all the ingredients together and bake on low heat - but the results were amazing!  I decided to add in only silvered almonds because I don't really like walnuts but otherwise I left it the same.  I spent about $3.00 total for a container of granola that is not filled with preservatives and that I LOVE!  I went to my local Mother's Market and was able to get the nuts and dried cranberries from the self service bins which is a money saver and has allowed me to try out some new products with little risk if I don't end up liking it.  Another bonus is that I was able to make the entire house smell delicious!

Nutty Pumpkin Granola
Recipe from Ella Says Opa


1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup pepitas
pinch of salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon each ground ginger, allspice and nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup agave maple syrup
1/3 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven 300 degrees.

Mix together oats, nuts and spices.  Add in pumpkin, vanilla and syrup, mix well until all ingredients are coated.  Add in cranberries and mix well.  Spread over greased cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until golden and crispy.  Cool completely before storing in airtight container.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment