Thursday, December 10, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers - Croissant Bread Pudding


So this is my very first Barefoot Bloggers Post!!! :) I decided to get involved as a way to ensure that I keep this blog up! In addition Ina is one of my favorite chefs and I always want to try out her recipes, so it was a win-win!

My husband and I have never been huge fans of bread pudding so I cut down the original recipe so that I we wouldn't have a ton of this left over. I also didn't have any raisins but I had a HUGE Costco size bag of dried cranberries that I decided to use. I also added some chocolate to mine and white chocolate to my husbands. I swear he is constantly going to cupboard to steal some white chocolate chips and since it is our 2 month anniversary I decided to be nice and include some! :) Another change I made was that I did these in individual ramekins so that I could easily customize them with the different chocolates.

The flavor was wonderful, but next time I think that I would add some orange zest to the custard to give it something different. If you like bread pudding this is one that you should try!

Cranberry Croissant Bread Pudding

2 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
2.5 cups of half & half
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 croissants, slice in cubes
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I mixed white and milk chocolate)

Preheat to 350 degrees.

Whisk together eggs, half & half, sugar, & vanilla. Layer the croissants into ramekins, making sure the cranberries and chocolate chips are dispersed between the layers. Fill the ramekin with the custard mixture and let sit 10 minutes, pushing down slightly.

Place the ramekins in a large baking dish and fill with an inch of water. Cover with foil, cut some steam holes in the foil. Bake covered for 45 minutes, uncover and bake for 30 additional minutes. Make sure the custard is set and it is puffed.

Let cool for a few minutes, and serve warm or room temperature.



No comments:

Post a Comment