Sunday, March 21, 2010

Caramel Corn


I love popcorn!  I always have to get it at the movies - I won't eat before the movies just so I can have enough room for a tub of popcorn!  We have an air popper that I use a couple of times a week - we just add some melted butter and salt and enjoy!  While checking out some different blogs a couple of weeks ago I came across this caramel corn recipe and decided that I would have to try this ASAP!  The best thing is that I had everything is that I needed!

The result was really yummy!  I only made a half recipe in case I didn't like it and because my husband and I do need a ton of this stuff around!  I do caution that you check the popcorn often towards the end - I ended up cooking mine about 10 minutes less than the recipe suggested.

Caramel Corn
Adapted from Annie's Eats

1/2 cup popcorn kernals, unpopped
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Pop popcorn and place in two large bowls - you need a lot of room to toss the popcorn with the syrup.

Melt butter over medium heat, once melted add in the corn syrup, brown sugar and salt.  Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.  Boil for 5 minutes without stirring.  Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla.  Caution - mixture will boil and froth at this point.   Pour the caramel over the popcorn and stir to coat.  You need to work quickly because the caramel does begin to harden.

Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 250 degrees for 40 minutes tossing every ten minutes.  Test after 30 - 40 minutes.   Allow to cool completely before breaking up to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment