Friday, March 19, 2010

Impress your Date - Sake Glazed Salmon


Earlier this week the hubby handed me the phone, on the other line was a good friend who needed some cooking advise.  He wanted to cook his girlfriend a meal that was delicious, easy and impressive, preferably seafood.  I was both honored that he considered me a reliable source, it must be the hubby talking me up to his friends he does like to brag about what he gets to eat, and nervous.  What if it doesn't turn out right, what if she hates it and doesn't want to take more than a bite!?!

I took a moment and it then it came to me - the easiest salmon recipe that I have, Sake Glazed Salmon.  I got this recipe from one of my favorite chefs - Nigella Lawson.  I love the way she LOVES food!  She has the best way of describing food, using adjectives that I could only hope to, relishing in the wonderfulness that is food.  I own all of her cookbooks, but Nigella Express is the one that I turn to the most because they are all quick to prepare but full in flavor.  This recipe is based on the Mirin Glazed Salmon recipe in this book.  I really wanted to try it but didn't have any Mirin and substituted with Sake.  I have made the salmon with Mirin and we actually prefer the sake version, try them both and you can decide!

Fingers are crossed that he will be able to impress his girlfriend with this - I know that my hubby is always impressed when I serve this up!

Sake Glazed Salmon
Adapted from Nigella Express

1/4 cup sake
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 - 4 oz. pieces of skinless salmon
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar

Mix the sake, brown sugar and soy sauce in a shallow dish that will hold the salmon.  Marinate the salmon for 3 minutes on each side.  Heat a large skillet on the stove.

Cook the salmon in the dry pan for 3 minutes on the first side and flip over.  Add the the marinade and cook for 3 minutes more.  The salmon will be medium at this point - cook a little longer if you want it to be fully cooked.

Remove salmon to your serving plate - I usually make some rice and serve the salmon over to catch all the yummy sauce.  Add rice vinegar to the pan and stir to combine. Pour the sauce over the salmon and serve immediately.

I usually add some steamed vegetables to this dish, my favorites are green beans or asparagus.  Right before pouring the sauce I add the vegetables to the sauce to give them a little flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment