Sunday, March 7, 2010

Homemade Potato Chips



What happens when you leave your husband home alone watching the Food Network????

If you live at my house, that means that you are going to walk thru the door and your hubby is going to announce that we are making homemade potato chips!

I was really excited about this new project as it was a perfect chance for me to pull out the mandolin that we got for our wedding and fry away!   The entire process did take a little time but we may never purchase another bag of potato chips again!  They were that good!  We almost didn't get a picture because we kept eating them as soon as they got cool enough - although a little burnt fingers would have been worth it to get these little suckers in my mouth!

The process was really easy - we just heated up about 3 inches of vegetable oil in my dutch oven to 350 degrees.  Then we sliced up the potatoes on the 1/8" setting on the mandolin and fried them for about a minute.  We did about 5 potatoes and had to fry them in quite a few batches.  Once they are cooked we placed them on a paper towel lined cookie sheet to drain and sprinkled them with kosher salt.

They are fantastic on their own but I added a dollop of sour cream to my plate to dip away ~ DELISH!

I do have to warn you - do not make these if you are on a diet!  You will NOT be able to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment